I’m 33 years old. Bekki went to work one day when she was 33 years old and got a call where she found out she had a brain tumor, had to have surgery immediately and ended up losing her vision. I simply can’t comprehend what I would do.
I’ve thought about it a lot since this interview. What would I do if I had not 1 but 3 brain surgeries (survival rate of 1% of 1%)? The result of which was LIFE but also a loss of vision.
- Would I be the same positive, happy person I am now?
- Would I be mad?
- Would I be depressed?
- Would I be as physically active?
- Would I still be doing Tough Mudders and other races?
I met Bekki on the Tough Mudder course in July (I know, I know, you would NEVER guess that – LOL). I share more on the podcast about what I actually thought when I saw her and the obstacle where I tried to give her some instructions.
Extraordinary people are all around us and Bekki is no exception. She shares with us her story of survival and challenge. It truly is a miracle that she is alive and she knows that. I asked her if she was ever angry about what happened and she said “never – I’m so grateful to be alive.”
We discuss a lot of things on this episode:
- What her day was like when she got the call
- What it was like to drive for the last time – EVER
- Her heroic doctor
- Losing friendships
- Shaving her head
- Living with her parents
- Personal growth
- And how she ended up on the Tough Mudder course where we met
I also hope that you will support Bekki and the Breakthrough for Brain Tumors 5k Run/Walk.
You can find all the details on Bekki’s fundraising page HERE.
I am out of town for the actual event so on Sunday October 8th I am hosting a 5k fundraiser at Relative Strength (8808 7th Ave N, Golden Valley). I would love to have you there but you can also DONATE here if you are unable to come.
- Sunday October 8th
- 5k Run/Walk at 8:30 AM
- Group Work Out at 9:30 AM
- You can donate $25 directly to THIS LINK and participate in the virtual run
- Or you can donate at the event
- $20 for the 5k
- $10 for the group work out
- OR $25 for both
- No punchcards accepted – cash or online donations
Advice from Bekki:
“Be your own advocate. If something doesn’t feel right, go find the answers.”